Étouffée vs. Gumbo: The Gumbo Hut‘s Signature Difference At TheGoodGumbo.com, we pride ourselves on our authentic Étouffée – a dish that often steals the spotlight alongside our renowned Gumbo. Wondering what sets our Étouffée apart? It’s the vibrant touch of red and orange bell peppers. When these peppers mingle with paprika, they grant the dish a distinct reddish hue and an irresistible sweet undertone.
Why The Gumbo Hut’s Étouffée is Special:
- Bell Peppers: Not just any peppers! We selectively use red and orange bell peppers, not commonly purchased in bulk, to guarantee that signature hue and taste.
- Quick & Delightful Recipe: In just 30 minutes, you can recreate our Étouffée. If we’re out, don’t worry! Head to instacart, gather the ingredients, and indulge in this delectable dish from the comfort of your home.
- Freshness Above All: You might wonder, if the recipe is so simple, why do we occasionally run out? The answer is straightforward: we are uncompromising about quality. Seasonal challenges sometimes make it tough to source the freshest ingredients. If we can’t serve you the best, we’d rather have you make the best at home.
Ingredients to add to instacart:
- 3 cups long grain white rice
- 6 cups water, divided
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- one red/orange bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound crawfish tails
- 6 green onions, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic poweder
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 ½ tablespoons Cajun seasoning, or to taste
- Combine rice and 6 cups water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer until rice is tender and water has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While rice cooks, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell peppers and cook, stirring, until transparent. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in 1 cup of chicken broth. Add crawfish tails and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in green onions and season with salt, pepper, other seasonings and Cajun seasoning.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until crawfish is cooked through but not tough, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve étouffée over cooked rice.
I’ve adjusted and personalized the recipe a bit, but the original inspiration can be credited to a Louisiana Crawfish Étouffée recipe on Allrecipes. You can view it here. This is a quick and easy dish that kids will love and it will be ready in no time when they get out of school.